Assistant Project Manager (Environmental Services)
Responsible for research and preparation of sections for environmental and planning documents, and assistance in the effective coordination of project execution. Can be expected to actively further the overall project implementation including, budget controls, billing procedures, and contract augments. Some coordination of in-house staff, as well as subconsultants, is required.
- Support Senior Project Managers and Project Managers in providing quality documents within specified budgetary and time constraints.
- Participate in the preparation of environmental documentation required by CEQA and NEPA, including preparation of specific technical sections.
- Assist in the coordination of in-house staff, subconsultants, and client liaison.
- Manage smaller projects (e.g., with a budget around $50,000 or less) as deemed appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support Senior Project Managers and Project Managers, as requested, in project administrative functions.
- Perform project-related activities within established budgets.
- Assist Senior Project Managers and Project Managers in ensuring that projects are conducted efficiently to maximize profits within project budgets.
- Provide input to Senior Project Managers and Project Managers for project budgets.
- Provide input to Senior Project Managers and Project Managers for contract amendments.
- Assist in coordination of in-house project team, including word-processing and graphics, and outside subconsultants.
- Expand knowledge of environmental documentation through attendance at training sessions and courses.
- Perform analysis of project impacts efficiently and present in concise and professional manner.
- Perform research and analysis for environmental documents, including contacts with public and private groups.
- Perform fieldwork including site visits for environmental information and photos.
- Support Senior Project Managers and Project Managers in client meetings and public presentations.
- Assist in the preparation of written materials for proposals.
- Investigate and participate in marketing contacts and phone calls to new and existing clients.
- Assist in preparation of marketing materials.
- Assist marketing efforts by assisting Project Managers in providing complete project descriptions on current projects, and updating FCS resume as needed.
Education, Knowledge and Skills
A combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and skills to effectively fill this position.
- A bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Planning, Geography, Biology, or related field.
- 3+ years related working experience.
- Effective communication through written and oral methods.
- Promote teamwork through interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in MS Office software applications, especially Word and Excel; as well as Internet usage.
Must have an understanding of the principles and practices of the environmental consulting industry, including:
- Specific understanding of CEQA, and its processing requirements.
- General understanding of NEPA.
- Technical competence and understanding of one or more environmental specialties such as land use, socio-economics, earth resources, hydrology, air, noise, etc.